Allo' Expat Malta - Connecting Expats in Malta
Main Homepage
Allo' Expat Malta Logo

Subscribe to Allo' Expat Newsletter
Check our Rates
   Information Center Malta
Malta General Information
Malta Expatriates Handbook
Useful Numbers
Immigration Information
  Entry Visa
Work Permit
Malta and Foreign Government
Malta General Listings
Malta Useful Tips
Malta Education & Medical
Malta Travel & Tourism Info
Malta Lifestyle & Leisure
Malta Business Matters
  Sponsored Links

Check our Rates

Malta Immigration Information Work Permit


All foreign nationals require a work permit to work in Malta, with the exception of EU nationals. Malta also operates a Working Holiday Visa programme for Australian citizens aged under 30. In respect of foreigners, the Government maintains a very restrictive policy and employment licences are granted only in exceptional circumstances.

Such work permits are issued to employers wishing to engage foreigners for a determined period and for a specific purpose, Only after it has been ascertained that every effort has been made to engage a suitable Maltese citizen.

Conditions for the Issue of a Work Permit

1. The applicant must be in possession of a job offer from an employer in Malta.

2. The applicant must possess a specialist skill or qualification which is lacking in Malta.

3. A significant demand must exist in a particular sector e.g. construction workers, qualified nurses, tourist guides with particular language skills.

Upon the request of a potential employer and on satisfying the above criteria, an employment licence will be issued by the Director of Labour.

Validity & Renewal

Employment licences are normally issued valid for one year. Licences valid for up to three years may also be applied for at the express request of the employer and provided sufficient justification is given. Licences may be renewed thereafter where a request to that effect is justified.

Residence Permit

A residence permit is automatically granted with the approval of a work permit for the applicant and his/her spouse. However, this does not entitle the spouse to work or automatically qualify for an employment licence unless demand for work is felt in the respective field.

Indefinite Permits

Where a foreign national is an investor in the manufacturing or financial services sector and holds substantial shareholding (40%) in the enterprise, the relative permit may be issued indefinitely.




copyrights ©
2015 | Policy